Wednesday, November 3, 2010

man crush

As per routine on my way to school, I would read a Metro or 24 newspaper on the bus. On one particular day I read an article where the columnist is writing about a female crush that she had on a lunch date with some female friends. There was nothing sexual about it, and she herself is not gay, it's just that she really admired this person's choice in wardrobe and wish they were best friends so they can go shopping together. So naturally the rest of the article is about the definition of what a same-sex crush is, for both men and women respectively.

Now, I have always said (since summer 2007) that every dude is allowed to have one same-sex crush. This is a person who they admire for any quality that is non-sexual (I do not mean a man/woman who is physically attracted to another man/woman).

I've always said that my man crush is Jack Bauer, because of the way he gets things done, shoots 'em up, and yells a lot on the hit show 24. Though I did have a real-life man crush for a while. It was someone I would see on the bus regularly who I thought had the coolest "look": cool hairstyle, cool eyeglass frames, cool shoes, cool jacket. Basically I wanted him to be on my shopping team (more on that later). I later learned he lived down the street from me, and once I got to know him (turned out to be friend of a friend), the admiration sort of died down. I wouldn't even label him a man crush anymore, just a regular guy.

If you think the concept of having a man/girl crush is kinda creepy, that's okay. Until I read that article I thought I was alone in this made-up theory. I'm still mulling over how to best define it, because I think it's going to be a thing. What strikes me with this theory of "the man crush" is that mystery in wanting what someone else has, or that want to be someone else. Maybe I'm way off, but my blog = my thoughts. And my thought is that perhaps there's more (desire of) interaction with strangers than we give credit for.

3 comments:

  1. dude, i know exactly what you are talking about. I had a man crush and when i got to know the guy it went away. We are good friends but i don't want to be him anymore. He is just a friend now

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a man crush on Johnny Depp... AND an actual crush.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ White - that's the way it seems to end with many people

    @ Esther - I would have imagined yours to be from anything Harry Potter-related.

    ReplyDelete