Friday, November 5, 2010

Shopping Team

Maybe three years ago I underwent a complete fashion transformation. I put away the ridiculous L and XL sweaters I had in my closest that I thought I'd grow into, and went with two friends of mine to a shopping mall and developed a new style, and a new method of selecting clothes. Sadly, due to the economic downturn we experienced and my current status as a student, I haven't gone clothes shopping in a long time. How long? Really long (it's why my style has somewhat lessened lately) But what I enjoyed about my shopping "team" is that we really felt like a team. We all brought good insights on different things like shoes, pants, and shirts, to more detailed requisites like colour, design, and size (of course!). It is also just really fun bonding moments with my friends.

Sometimes I wonder if it's a natural thing to categorize our friends, create subgroups; a certain group you go with to the movies, or a museum, or an opera, or a hockey game, or an amusement park, or shopping. A categorical friend is just someone you do an activity with simply because they are the best person to do that activity with. Growing up I had my"church friends" and then my "school friends". My first year of university I noticed that there wasn't that divide anymore. If it is a natural thing to put people in boxes, I really think people move beyond that mentality and the boxes just morph into one big box.

[a thought just entered my brain that I want to explore as I wrote the above sentences. The following is my attempt to expand it a little more]

When I say that there was not longer a divide between church friends and school friends, what I mean to say is that the friends I went to school with also attended church. I value my unchurched friends immensely, and the friendships I've made with some these last couple of years have been quality stuff.

Just as an example, look at clubs and societies. You can narrow your choice of interests and socialize with people of just one interest, or broaden your group so that you can learn that you can so many other interests. Or perhaps there is always that starting point, and you branch out from there. It's fun when you find people who are on the same level as you (personality-wise? or just get you?) that you can have a good time with. After all, that's why they're your friends. Sometimes it doesn't even matter what you're doing. My shopping team isn't around only when I need clothes, they're around even if I have nothing at all! Er. . no monies to spend on clothes.


What are some activities you enjoy doing with (categorical) friends?

No comments:

Post a Comment