Monday, November 29, 2010

On Purpose



Before this summer I had only bought two dvds for myself in my life. Up in the Air is one of them. I don't know why I love this movie so much, it had quickly become a movie I recommend to people all. the. time. If you haven't seen the movie then stop reading this and just go out and rent it (or call me and I'll watch it with you!).

There's just something about this character that's so unique from every other story you've probably ever seen. He's living an empty life that everyone can see except for him. Moreover, here is a man who thinks he has life figured out; He knows and has what he wants, he's complete. We feel sad for this guy. We like this guy, we root for this guy, we want to see him happy. It's interesting to note how many times he references the moon, stars, orbiting space. In forty years our planet may be over-populated, and yet we still feel isolated.

Where do you find your sense of purpose? One of the characters says his kids are his purpose. That's admirable, but what happens when they turn eighteen and move out? Some think that it's marriage that will make you happy, when you find the right one. Tell that to Alex.

One thing I do like about this movie is that it is not by any definition a "chick-flick". Does the movie end happily? No. But we can't say the same for Ryan's story. Unlike in a movie where the couple end up together and experience euphoric bliss that may never again be attained, we know that it can only get better for Ryan now.

Someone commented that I enjoy this movie because it's all about relationships, which is interesting because that's not at all what the first half of the movie is about. It starts off about a downsizing firm and then transitions into this honest look at the mechanics of forming connections. I think sometimes the realities of life overshadow the illusions of love. What I saw was a man who for a moment let his guard down to experience not only an emotion to another person, but as a result experienced a fundamental shift in the way he lived. Can there be something this powerful? I believe there is.


What is your sense of purpose?

No comments:

Post a Comment